A blog chronicling the adventures of a Chicago-based hairstylist and makeup artist!

November 19, 2010

What Stylists/Make-Up Artists Wish They Could Say




I recently posed this question to my hairstylist/make up artist friends, "What have you wished you could say to a client at your most frustrated point?"  Their identities have been left anonymous and there were many things that I could not post here.  However, some of them weren't TOO bad, so here they are:
  • "When my clients mother came along to her haircut appointment I wanted to say, 'Here how about you go ahead and finish for me?  Obviously, you know more than a state licensed professional!'"
  • "Stop Trying to be a bleach blonde bombshell with level 4 hair!"
  • "'Yeah, you have pretty hair but you look bad with it long,' or 'your hair is way too thin to be this long.'"
  • "Coloring your hair at home has left your hair looking like it's three different colors."
  • "My biggest pet peeve is when people complain about their hair not looking like when I first cut/style it, when they aren't willing to use the products I use or to take the time to style their hair. If you want it to look the way I do it then do it like I do it. Or just be honest that you aren't willing to style it at home."
  • "I'm the professional, not you."
  • "I don't think it is fair that you can use a box color on your hair and damage it when you know it is bad for your hair and then come in here and expect me, in one appointment, to completely undo the damage.  Trust me when I tell you not to use box color."
  • "You need bangs."
  • "Keep your head still, please."
  • "I'm not the hairstylist for you."
  • "I don't apply glitter shadows/liners on people over the age of 15 unless it's for an event because you will look [bad]."
  • "I know that you are lying about coloring your hair yourself.  I'm not judging you so please be honest with me."
     I guess the moral of the story is: be nice and be honest with yourself and your stylist in order to create a great relationship that will give you the best results possible.

     I am sure clients have had plenty of things they wish they could say but haven't.  Feel free to leave comments with some of your thoughts.

No comments: